Woods Landing

Col. Samuel S. Woods came to Wyoming as a freighter. He came with his family from Atlantic, Iowa in 1883 and stayed to settle, building a sawmill. He and his wife became known for their extensive hospitality and often hosted parties and dances, first in their home, and later in a community hall built for such purposes. Their property was further developed by a couple from Indiana. In 1927 a hall was built on top of 24 boxcar springs and even today is reputed to be the best dance floor in southeastern Wyoming. The dance hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. The present resort community at Woods Landing continues to reflect this celebratory spirit.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved