Fort Laramie (the town)
Pop. 243 Elev. 4,230

Visit the Fort Laramie
National Historic Site
Like the river, Ft. Laramie was named for French-Canadian trapper Jacques La Ramie, who explored much of eastern Wyoming. As well as being an auxiliary stop to the old Fort site, the town has its own share of historical significance. Wyoming’s oldest post office was established here in the 1880s, and the old iron bridge here, built in 1875, was funded by a $15,000 congressional appropriation for the express purpose of accommodating the Cheyenne-Deadwood Stage.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved