Fort Laramie National Historic Site
3 miles southwest of the town of Fort Laramie. Follow signs off US Highway 26
(307) 837-2221

One of the most significant outposts on the trail was officially established as Fort William in 1834 by fur traders William Sublette and Robert Campbell. An adobe fort was built in 1841 by the American Fur Company and named Fort John. The U. S. Military purchased the Fort in 1849 as a base to protect and supply the growing emigration on the trail. Fort Laramie became a major link in the Pony Express, Overland Stage and transcontinental telegraph systems and served as an operations base for the Plains Indian Wars. Today, the site is operated by the National Park Service and is open year around with extended hours and living history programs during summer months. Many related historic sites are in the vicinity.

Source: BLM brochure.

Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved