Cooper Mansion
Grand Ave. and 15th St. in Laramie

The Cooper Mansion was built in 1921 and designed by architect, Wilbur Hitchcock. The beautiful building is an interesting combination of styles including; modern and classical styles, part pueblo and mission, and part art deco. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1983. As the Cooper family home the mansion serves as tangible evidence to the extent and character of British economic colonialism in the western United Stated during the late 19th century. Beginning in the 1870s many wealthy young men from Britain came to Wyoming and purchased huge tracts of land on which they sought to establish virtual empires. Collectively called the “Cattle Barons,” on the Laramie Plains, Frank Cooper was the leading member of the foreign-born contingent. It is currently serves as the home to the American Studies Program at The University of Wyoming.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved