Burns
Pop. 285 Elev. 5,455

Originally named Luther (for Martin Luther) by the German emigrants who settled it in 1907, Burns name was changed by UP officials to honor a division engineer. The emigrants, displaced from Iowa, had hoped to begin a Lutheran colony. Uinta County, unfortunately, already had a post office named Burns, so a dispute arose until the other Burns post office closed in 1910. In due time, Burns became a provisional stop for nearby farmers and ranchers.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved