Glenrock
Pop. 2,231 Elev. 5,009

Adventure
Dining
Lodging
Shopping
Named for "The Rock in the Glen," a Deer Creek landmark that is now by the old railroad station, pioneers often camped here between 1843 and 1887. The rock now bears many of their names, and some solitary graves are scattered nearby. The Mormons turned the place into an official way station in 1850. Shortly thereafter, it became the Deer Creek Overland Stage Station, telegraph office, and Pony Express stop. The station was burned by Indians in 1866, and never rebuilt. It acquired the name Mercedes for a while, and then was briefly named Nuttell, for coal developer William Nuttell.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved