Hudson
Pop. 407 Elev. 5,094

John G. Hudson was a rancher and legislator who promoted the railroad. He owned the land on which the town was built in 1905, where Indians, coal miners, and oil field workers could trade goods and services. The town was initially named Alta, an Indian word meaning “swift water” for the nearby Little Popo Agie River. Coal was the main moneymaker here around 1912, which brought many European immigrants, especially many of Slavic descent.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved