Fort Washakie
Pop. 300 Elev. 5,570

Named for the great Shoshone Chief Washakie, who encouraged peaceful relations between whites and Native Americans, Ft. Washakie is the only fort ever named for an Indian chief. It is now the headquarters for the Wind River Reservation. Originally called Ft. Brown, and later Ft. Augur, it became a place of protection for the Shoshone people from the Arapaho and Sioux, their traditional enemies. Chief Washakie lived here until his death in 1900, when he was 102. The fort remained a protective entity until 1909, when hostilities between the Shoshone and Arapaho declined. Some of the original buildings still stand.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved