Shoshoni
Pop. 635 Elev. 4,820

Lodging
Named for the tribe, this is one of several variations on the spelling. The town became a stop on the Northwestern Railroad in 1904, and the surrounding land was opened for homesteading the following year. This was one of the towns in the area that needed help from federal troops to settle the furor over land rights that accompanied homesteading claims. Fires in 1907 and 1908 destroyed most of the original buildings. The drug store here is famous in the region for its milkshakes.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved