Medicine Bow, WY
Pop. 274 Elev. 6,353

Dex is one of the leading Yellow Pages publishers. Dex publishes the AT&T Real Yellow Pages in Illinois and NW Indiana, the EMBARQ!

Vacation in Wyoming
: Wyoming Vacation Directory
: Wyoming Communities
Search our Site

Photo courtesy www.wyomingcarboncounty.com

ArticlesAttractions
Ghost Towns
Historical Markers
Historic Sites
Museums
Recreation
Schools
State Parks

Medicine Bow’s birth is the result of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific Railroads tracks being laid in the bend of the Medicine River. A railroad station was built so that water could be pumped from the river and a tank supply kept for the engines.

Eventually, two saloons sprung up, and a general store owned by J.L. Klinkenbeard. Medicine Bow as incorporated in 1909; its first mayor was August Grimm. In 1913, one of the grandest hotels in the state, The Hotel Virginian, was built, whose walls were decorated by cowboy artist C.M. Russell.

On November 8, 1919, a train stopped at the Medicine Bow station was held up by an escaped convict, William Carlisle. Carlisle escaped, but was eventually apprehended in the Laramie Mountains and was returned to prison.

One individual who made the residents of Medicine Bow proud was Owen Wister, author of The Virginian. In gathering information for his popular book, Wister rode the land of Two Bar Ranch to capture the feel of the area.

Native Americans used to come to the Medicine Bow River for the ash wood that grew on its banks, which was especially good for making bows. The Indian conception of the English word "medicine" had multiple meanings, which included healing, good luck, and quality. Thus, a "medicine bow" was one that would assure good hunting.

For more information on Medicine Bow click here.

Home | Wyoming Communities | Vacation/Relocation Planner | Bookstore | Search Our Site | Contact Us

Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved