Evansville
Pop. 2,255 Elev. 5,136

Lodging
Named for W.T. Evans, early homesteader and blacksmith, Evansville was the original site of the Platte River Crossing for pioneers, used as early as 1834. From 1851 to 1853, the Reshaw Bridge stood here, an engineering marvel of its day. The Sioux burned the bridge when Fort Clay (an adjunct to Fort Casper) was abandoned after the Oregon Trail was rerouted south. With the discovery of oil, Evansville became a refinery town. Now it is a suburb of Casper.
Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved