LaBarge
Pop. 431 Elev. 6,600

Vacation in Wyoming
: Wyoming Vacation Directory
: Wyoming Communities
Search our Site


LaBarge was named for the creek, which was thus dubbed by William Ashley. He named it for a member of his company, Joseph LaBarge, who came west at the age of 16 in the 1820s. Originally, when the town acquired a post office in 1926, it was named Tulsa, but in the 1930s they changed the name to avoid confusion with Tulsa, Oklahoma. Once a company town for the California Petroleum Company, like nearby Calpet, LaBarge is still in the heart of oil country, with oil pumps visible in most any direction.

Copyright © 2011 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved