Double D Dude Ranch Site
Highway 290 east from Meeteetse the south on Wood River Rd.
4-wheel drive high clearance vehicle required for last 2 or 3 miles


The beauty and natural resources of the area near Kirwin attracted the interest of several investors in the 1920s and early 1930s that formed the idea of establishing a dude ranch in the area. Carl Dunrud began the construction of the Double D Dude Ranch five miles below the townsite in 1931. Amelia Earhart visited the ranch in 1934 and was so attracted to the beauty of the area that she asked Dunrud to construct a home near the old townsite for her to use. She disappeared during her around-the-world flight before the construction was completed. The American Metals Climax Corporation eventually purchased the Kirwin townsite and the Double D Dude Ranch in the early 1960s. Today the site is abandoned. Amax donated the complex to the United States Forest Service in 1992.

Copyright © 2018 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved