When the post office moved here from the previous site of "Burns" (a problem name, since there was another Burns in Laramie County), it was named for Thomas P. Daniel, the owner of the general store in 1900. About two miles to the west is old Ft. Bonneville, named for founder Capt. Benjamin L.E. Bonneville. Built in 1832, it became the site of the original Green River Rendezvous, which was held yearly over the next eight years for the exchange of goods between trappers, traders, and Indians. The event is now celebrated in Pinedale. One mile to the east of Daniel is the site of the first Catholic Mass in Wyoming, held by Father Pierre DeSmet in 1840. A monument was built here in 1925.