Named for Cora House, an old maid cowgirl who worked on the nearby Elmer Ranch, this post office was established in about 1890. A decade later, in 1900, the post office moved to the ranch of Mrs. Minerva Westphall, best known for her bootlegged whiskey and her big gray stallion, on which she carried the mail from Big Piney. In 1902 it moved again to the ranch of James Noble. When it finally developed into a town, it served the nearby railroad tie camp with its saloon and dance hall, blacksmith shop, and local newspaper. It had to move one last time to be near a paved road, but the post office was finally restored to its original building. Today, Cora is the place to catch up on news for the area ranchers.