Established near Pine Creek, this town was named by first postmaster Charles Peterson in 1899. At that time, it was farthest away from all the railroads of any town in Wyoming. Before that, this was Rendezvous country, where the biggest get-togethers of trappers, traders, and Native Americans took place from 1832 to1840. The tie-hack industry also contributed to the town’s growth. Pinedale is still a ranching and logging center, but is increasingly benefiting from the overflow of tourism from the Jackson area. With its proximity to the Wind River Mountains, however, it still retains its wild, rustic charm.